Friday, October 15, 2010

Alchol Awareness Week at BSU

While in past years the theme of Alcohol Awareness Week was more-so to abstain from alcohol, this week's theme was slightly different.
Mike Gillilan, director of Student Rights and Community said, "This year, we're not saying to not drink or even to not drink illegally, while we certainly don't condone that. We want people to not get hurt."
Letting students and faculty know about the harm that alcohol can do to you is always a purpose, but this year it was more important to encourage safety is a top priority also.
The week of events consisted of activities everyday, to promote awareness and to provide more information to students. Some of the activities consisted of golf carting through the Quads while wearing drunk goggles, Alcohol tic-tac-toe, as well as seeing how alcohol would affect someone via a virtual bar on a laptop.
The virtual bar was the last of the events held. After putting in your gender and weight, students were allowed to drink as many ‘virtual’ drinks as they wanted. They then proceeded to guess what they thought their BAC, blood alcohol content, would be. Gillian said, “It is neat to have students guess and think what they think their BAC will be after a drink. It also helps them think, 'OK, I can have two drinks before I hit the legal limit to drive, but if I have three, I will be above .08.'"
There were also multiple showings of the film “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know” throughout the night. The short film was a story about a student from a Massachusetts Institute of Technology who died of alcohol poisoning at a fraternity initiation event in 1997.
The week of activities were able to promote awareness and encourage safety among not only students the attend Ball State, but also students in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment